The best buildings in Tartu have been revealed
15 March / Tartu recognised the winners of the competition Building of the Year 2017. For the first time, city residents were also able to select their favourite this year.
At the awards ceremony, Tartu Mayor Urmas Klaas revealed the most outstanding buildings in the city last year and presented letters of appreciation to their designers, builders and owners. The winners also received plaques of recognition from the city, which can be placed on their building’s façade.
According to Tartu City Architect Tõnis Arjus, the pace of construction for buildings exhibiting a high quality of architecture within the City Centre has accelerated.
As part of the competition, all buildings in the City of Tartu that were issued a permit for use of construction works in 2017 were judged. Buildings selected by the evaluation committee were posted for a public vote on the Tartu City homepage, which decided the public’s favourite. The public vote was won by the restored building on Veski Street 6, with 18 per cent of respondents casting their vote in favour of the building.
In 2017, the best buildings in Tartu were:
· in the subgroup of new apartment buildings: Kitsas Street 5, honourable mention Roosi Street 49;
· in the subgroup of a group of buildings: Pikk Street 43/Pikk Street 45/Pikk Street 47, honourable mention Näituse Street 27;
· in the new detached houses subgroup: Elulõnga Street 25, honourable mention Lemmatsi Street 5b and Tammelehe Street 17;
· in the subgroup of new non-residential buildings: Pepleri Street 1a, honourable mention Näituse Street 33;
· in the subgroup of new commercial buildings: Turu Street 34;
· in the subgroup of reconstructed and expanded apartment buildings: Staadioni Street 63, honourable mention Jõe Street 2b and Võru Street 120;
· in the subgroup of reconstructed and expanded detached houses: Päeva Street 21, honourable mention F. R. Kreutzwaldi Street 4;
· in the subgroup of reconstructed and expanded commercial and non-residential buildings: Ringtee Street 75, honourable mention J. Liivi Street 2d and Soola Street 3;
· in the subgroup of restored cultural monuments: Veski Street 6.
The City of Tartu has been organising a competition to find the year’s best buildings since 1999.
Last changed 15.03.2018